THIS POLICY IS CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW DURING FEBRUARY 2019.
We, the Boronia Hawks Football Netball Club Inc (BHFNC) hereby commit to the objective of the AFL’s Respect andResponsibility Policy to create safe, welcoming and inclusive environments for women and girls at all levels of Australian Football.
By committing to this goal, we understand that violence against women is a violation of a woman’s right to physical and psychological integrity, to liberty, and all too often, to her right to life itself. It is any act of gender based violence that results in, or is likely to result in, physical, sexual or psychological harm to women.
BHFNC acknowledges that:
- In Australia and around the world, one in three women will experience violence at some point in their life.
- Violence against women is the leading cause of death, disability and illness in young Victorian women aged 15 – 44.
- One in five Australian women reported being subject to sexual assault at some time in their adult lives.
- Four in five Australian women who experienced sexual violence knew their attacker.
We understand that violence against women is a major public health and safety issue in Australia, and therefore affirm that our club understands it, and the wider football communities’ role in preventing violence against women before it occurs.
We further recognise that violence against women is caused by:
- Unequal power relations between men and women and belief in rigid gender roles.
- Holding a masculine sense of entitlement.
- Belief in the male right to control relationships.
- Promotion of these beliefs through social structures, such as sporting clubs.
We underline our commitment to challenging these behaviours and attitudes that can cause, contribute to and condone violence against women.
We understand that creating environments where women feel safe, welcome and inclusive is both an individual and collective responsibility.
In order to achieve this, BHFNC will commit to:
- Having an equal representation of women and men in senior leadership positions.
- Actively recruiting women and girls to coaching roles.
- Ensuring that all elements of the Member Protection Policy are adhered to at all times.
- Communicate and enforce relevant Club and EFL Codes of Conduct.
- Actively engage with the White Ribbon Campaign, or equivalent.
- Adherence to our Responsible Service of Alcohol obligations.
- Enforcing Club and EFL Codes of Conduct, where applicable.
As a leader of this sporting Club, I commit to this Statement of Intent, and will inform the wider club community of this commitment.